After 2 Years of testing, let’s package up all the HostGator Test Results and find out how they’ve performed so far…
HostGator Review – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 8 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 80,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 04 Apr 2016 to 30 Dec 2017
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,340 times).
- HostGator’s speed was typically in the bottom half of our hosts across 2016. However, there has been a noticeable speed improvement in 2017, highlighted by a brilliant time of 0.94s with WP Rocket & Cloudflare setup during H1 2017.
- HostGator is currently ranked in 4th place in our Speed Rankings.
H2 2017 Results
H1 2017 Results
View the Weekly Speed Tests
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (80,640 times).
- HostGator’s uptime has been let down by 1 horrendous week (Week 43), where they recorded 425 minutes of downtime. Hopefully they can avoid these extremely poor weeks going forward.
- HostGator is currently ranked 8th in our Uptime Rankings.
View the Weekly Uptime Tests
HostGator Review – Overall Test Results
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- HostGator’s speed started in the bottom half of our hosts in 2016, but has really impressed in 2017 with a move into the top half. Unfortunately, they are being held back by 1 disastrous week of uptime, where they experienced a ridiculous 425 minutes of outages. Looking into 2018, I would like to see HostGator’s speed continue to improve as well as gain consistency with their uptime.
- HostGator is currently 7th in our Overall Rankings.