After 8 months of live testing in 2019, let’s package up all the Flywheel test results and find out how they’ve performed so far…
Flywheel Review – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 6 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 60,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 07 Jan 2019 to 18 Aug 2019
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,080 times).
- Flywheel was the slowest premium host through the first 5 weeks of testing. However, once WP Rocket was introduced for Weeks 6 to 10, there was a dramatic improvement. Flywheel was the 2nd fastest premium host during this time. This improvement continued when we moved our servers to Canada & UK, with Flywheel 2nd in Weeks 11-15 & 21-25, and 3rd fastest in Weeks 16-20 & Weeks 26-30.
- Flywheel is currently ranked in 2nd place in our Speed Rankings.
2019 Results – USA Server
2019 Results – Canada Server
2019 Results – UK Server
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (60,480 times).
- The uptime performance for Flywheel across the 30 weeks is just slightly behind some very impressive competition. With a downtime of only 25 minutes across that time, they have successfully avoided any disastrous downtime. All in all, a very good result for Flywheel.
- Flywheel is currently ranked 4th in our Uptime Rankings.
Flywheel Review – Overall ranking
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- Flywheel have recorded consistently solid uptime throughout. After a slow start with their speed results early in 2019, things have really taken off in the last 25 weeks, consistently taking out 2nd & 3rd place finishes. Going forward, I would like to see Flywheel continue to improve their speed and maintain their uptime in order to strive toward the coveted #1 ranking.
- Flywheel is sitting 2nd in our Overall Rankings.