After 2+ Years of testing, let’s package up all the HostGator Test Results and find out how they’ve performed so far…
HostGator Review – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 8 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 80,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 04 Apr 2016 to 07 Jul 2018
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,340 times).
- HostGator’s speed has typically been around the mid pack of our hosts across 2016 to 2018. Their best performance was in H1 2017 where they were 3rd fastest, but H1 2018 has seen a dropoff to 7th fastest.
- HostGator is currently ranked in 5th place in our Speed Rankings.
H1 2018 Results
H2 2017 Results
H1 2017 Results
View the Weekly Speed Tests
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (80,640 times).
- HostGator’s uptime has been let down by 1 horrendous week (Week 43), where they recorded 425 minutes of downtime. So far in 2018, they have avoided any one off poor weeks, and a result have been the 5th best performer.
- HostGator is currently ranked 6th in our Uptime Rankings.
View the Weekly Uptime Tests
HostGator Review – Overall Test Results
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- While HostGator’s speed has shown promise at times, it would best be described as inconsistent across the 2+ years of testing. And unfortunately, they are also being held back by 1 disastrous week of uptime, where they experienced a ridiculous 425 minutes of outages. As we consider the second half of 2018, I would like to see HostGator’s speed improve as well as continue avoiding large downtime weeks.
- HostGator is currently 5th in our Overall Rankings.