After 12 months of live testing, let’s find out which hosts are proving to be the most reliable in the Uptime Rankings.
Weekly Uptime Testing Method
- Compare 6 WordPress Hosts
- Use 6 Live Sites, each with a Different Host but with Identical Content (you can check them out here)
- Use Pingdom Uptime Test
- Testing Locations: North America, Europe & Asia Pacific
- Frequency of Weekly Testing: Every Minute across the Last 7 Days
- Total Number of Tests = 1 x60 x24 x7 x6 x50 = 3,024,000 (xMinutes xHours xDays xSites xWeeks)
- Uptime testing is confirming that the website is actually accessible to visitors
- An example of why an outage (or downtime) can occur is scheduled maintenance of the server the website is hosted on
Identical Live Sites
Uptime Rankings – Jan 2019 to DEC 2019
Congratulations to Pressidium for being the most reliable host!! Across the 12 months since Pressidium was added, they have only recorded 8 minutes of downtime, which is truly remarkable.
At the other end of the scale is Kinsta and Lightning Base, who have both experienced a disastrous week of downtime.
For Lightning Base it was their Week 143 performance where they experienced 119 minutes of downtime. This is very uncharacteristic of Lightning Base, as I’ve previously tested them for almost 2 years, and their total downtime over this time was only 65 minutes.
While Kinsta’s horror week occurred in Week 152 where they experienced a whopping 223 minutes of downtime.
Note: To make sure all hosts are treated equally (regardless of how long they have been included in our tests), an annualized downtime is used. The Uptime Score is calculated, where 99.9% Uptime is considered the minimum performance and given 0%. The best performance is given 100%, with the remaining results relative to these extremes.
(Click the table to enlarge)
06 Jan 2019 to 04 Jan 2020
And the Most Reliable Host is…
To crown an overall champion, we have combined our weekly Speed & Uptime tests together.