After 8 months of live testing in 2019, let’s package up all the Lightning Base test results and find out how they’ve performed so far…
lIGHTNING Base Review – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 6 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 60,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 07 Jan 2019 to 18 Aug 2019
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,080 times).
- Lightning Base’s average speed was a little off the pace compared to our other hosts, especially in Weeks 1 to 5. In a promising sign, there was improvement in Weeks 6 to 10 with the addition of WP Rocket. Slightly improved results where experienced in Canada across Weeks 11 to 20. Performances in the UK have been disappointing, with Lightning Base being the slowest host due to erratic results in Dallas & Vancouver.
- Lightning Base is currently ranked in 5th place in our Speed Rankings.
2019 Results – USA Server
2019 Results – Canada Server
2019 Results – UK Server
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (60,480 times).
- Lightning Base has performed extremely poorly when it comes to Uptime so far in 2019. In Week 143 of testing, 119 minutes of downtime was experienced by Lightning Base, which is very uncharacteristic. Over the last 2 years of testing I have conducted here, Lighting Base only had 65 minutes of downtime. The good news is there hasn’t been any repeats of this, with no downtime at all across Weeks 11 to 30.
- Lightning Base is currently ranked 5th in our Uptime Rankings.
lightning base Review – Overall ranking
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- Lightning Base has been let down by their extremely disappointing downtime of 119 minutes in Week 143. Unfortunately it will take a lot of very impressive uptime results to turn things around. And with erratic results creeping into Lightning Base’s speed, there’s lots of room for improvement across the remainder of 2019.
- Lightning Base is now 5th in our Overall Rankings.