After 3 months of live testing in 2019, let’s package up all the SiteGround test results and find out how they’ve performed so far…
SiteGround Review – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 6 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 60,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 07 Jan 2019 to 17 Mar 2019
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,080 times).
- SiteGround’s speed started off very poorly, recording the slowest speed of all our hosts across the first 5 weeks of testing. The good news, however, was they were able to totally turn that around once WP Rocket was installed. They rocketed to 3rd during this time, outpacing 2 premium hosts in the process.
- SiteGround is currently ranked 6th in our Speed Rankings.
2019 Results – USA Server
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (60,480 times).
- The uptime results for SiteGround have been very impressive across the 1st 10 weeks of testing. Having only recorded 5 minutes of downtime places them above most hosts and well above their budget host competitor in Lightning Base.
- SiteGround is currently ranked 3rd in our Uptime Rankings.
SiteGround Review – Overall ranking
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- While SiteGround’s uptime performance has been great, improvement is needed in their speed to move up the rankings. They are comfortably ahead of Lightning Base in the preferred budget host category, and not far off the performance of the premium hosts.
- SiteGround is sitting in 5th in our Overall Rankings.