After 3 months of live testing in 2019, let’s package up all the WP Engine test results and find out how they’ve performed so far…
WP Engine Review – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 6 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 60,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 07 Jan 2019 to 17 Mar 2019
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,080 times).
- The speed WP Engine showed in the 1st 5 weeks of testing was impressive, good for 2nd fastest of our hosts. Unfortunately, this was not able to continue when WP Rocket was introduced. The speed was noticeably slower across all testing locations in the 2nd 5 weeks, so much so that they ended up being the slowest host during this time.
- WP Engine is currently holding onto 2nd place in our Speed Rankings.
2019 Results – USA Server
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (60,480 times).
- WP Engine has performed well when it comes to Uptime so far in 2019. Across the 10 weeks of testing they have recorded only 6 minutes of downtime.
- WP Engine is currently 4th in our Uptime Rankings.
WP Engine Review – Overall ranking
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- WP Engine’s performance across the 10 weeks has been mostly impressive. The area of improvement I’m hoping to see is a step up in there speed when WP Rocket is added. Hopefully there Canadian server is able to deliver this.
- WP Engine is currently 2nd in our Overall Rankings.