After 5 months of live testing in 2019, let’s package up all the WP Engine test results and find out how they’ve performed so far…
WP Engine Review – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 6 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 60,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 07 Jan 2019 to 02 Jun 2019
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,080 times).
- The speed WP Engine showed in the 1st 5 weeks of testing was impressive, good for 2nd fastest of our hosts. Unfortunately, this was not able to continue when WP Rocket was introduced. The speed was noticeably slower across all testing locations in the 2nd 5 weeks, so much so that they ended up being the slowest host during this time. This trend continued across Weeks 11-20, initially 3rd fastest, but falling to slowest with the addition of WP Rocket.
- WP Engine is currently 4th place in our Speed Rankings.
2019 Results – USA Server
2019 Results – Canada Server
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (60,480 times).
- WP Engine has performed very well when it comes to Uptime so far in 2019. Across the 20 weeks of testing they have recorded only 9 minutes of downtime.
- WP Engine is currently 3rd in our Uptime Rankings.
WP Engine Review – Overall ranking
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- WP Engine’s performance across the 20 weeks has been very impressive when it comes to uptime. The area of concern is there lack of speed, especially when WP Rocket is added. Hopefully their UK server is able to deliver this across the upcoming 10 weeks of testing.
- WP Engine is currently 3rd in our Overall Rankings.