After 3 years of testing, let’s compare InMotion vs GoDaddy and find out how they’ve performed so far…
InMotion vs GoDaddy – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 8 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 80,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 04 Apr 2016 to 22 Dec 2018
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,340 times).
- InMotion Hosting’s speed has been a little inconsistent across the last 3 years. Their load times have been on a bit of a roller coaster, where some weeks they can be the fastest hosts, while other weeks they can drop to slowest. Their most recent results in H2 2018 are their most impressive, where they are the 2nd fastest host.
- GoDaddy’s Speed was the fastest throughout 2016. They maintained similar speeds in 2017, but other hosts started to outperform them. And now the most recent results for GoDaddy in H2 2018 have plummeted to the slowest of all active hosts.
- InMotion is currently sitting in 3rd place and GoDaddy 5th in our Speed Rankings.
H2 2018 Results
H1 2018 Results
H2 2017 Results
H1 2017 Results
View the Weekly Speed Tests
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (80,640 times).
- InMotion Hosting have also performed erratically when it comes to Uptime. Their 2016 performance was positive, finishing 3rd, but as time has gone on, they have progressively dropped away. In 2017 they were 7th and both H1 & H2 2018 they’ve fallen to be the worst active host, recording 765 minutes of downtime.
- GoDaddy have performed brilliantly when it comes to Uptime over the last 3 years. Unfortunately, there was 2 blemishes on their record, during Week 73 they incurred 96 minutes of downtime and Week 130 they had 47 minutes of downtime. To put this into perspective, across the other 138 weeks of testing, they have only had 107 minutes of downtime. Even with these poor weeks, they are still one of the better performers.
- GoDaddy is currently ranked 3rd, while InMotion is 8th in our Uptime Rankings.
View the Weekly Uptime Tests
InMotion vs GoDaddy – Overall Test Results
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- InMotion Hosting’s performance started off as promising but inconsistent across 2016 & 2017, resulting in a ranking of 4th at the end of 2017. While their speed in H2 2018 has been very impressive, they have been let down by disappointing uptime results across 2018.
- GoDaddy’s performance has was excellent across the board in 2016, however, across 2017 & H1 2018 there have been a couple of hosts that have overtaken them in both the speed and uptime departments. The biggest disappointment has been their H2 2018 speed, which has seen them fall well behind our top 2 hosts.
- GoDaddy is currently 3rd, with InMotion in 5th in our Overall Rankings.