After 12 months of live testing in 2019, let’s compare Pressidium vs WP Engine and find out which WordPress host has performed best.
Pressidium vs WP Engine – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 6 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 60,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 07 Jan 2019 to 04 Jan 2020
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,080 times).
- Pressidium’s speed was somewhat disappointing across the first 10 weeks of testing in USA leading to a 4th place finish. Their speed started stepping up in Canada & UK, especially once WP Rocket jumped on board. And the most recent results in India & Australia has seen a noticeable improvement with 2nd placed finishes.
- The speed WP Engine showed in USA across the 1st 5 weeks of testing was impressive, good for 2nd fastest of our hosts. Unfortunately, they dropped to the slowest host when WP Rocket was introduced across the 2nd 5 weeks. This trend continued across Weeks 11-30 in Canada & UK, initially 3rd fastest, but falling to slowest or 2nd slowest with the addition of WP Rocket. The latest results in India & Australia have been the worst for WP Engine, recording just the 2nd slowest without WP Rocket, then the slowest with.
- Pressidium is currently in 3rd place, while WP Engine is 4th in our Speed Rankings.
2019 Results – USA Server
2019 Results – Canada Server
2019 Results – UK Server
2019 Results – India Server
2019 Results – Australia Server
View the Weekly Speed Tests
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (60,480 times).
- Uptime is where Pressidium has shone brightest. Across the 50 weeks of testing, they have only recorded 8 minutes of downtime, which is truly remarkable!!
- WP Engine performed extremely well when it comes to Uptime across the first 40 weeks of testing, recording only 13 minutes of downtime. The landscape changed dramatically in the last 10 weeks of testing, with a very disappointing 111 minutes of downtime.
- Pressidium is sitting in 1st place, with WP Engine 4th in our Uptime Rankings.
View the Weekly Uptime Tests
Pressidium vs WP Engine – Overall ranking
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- Pressidium have been fantastic when it comes to uptime and their speed continued to show improvement as the year progressed. These combined strong results have meant Pressidium is right at the top of our 2019 rankings, just missing out on the #1 spot.
- WP Engine’s performance across the first 40 weeks was very impressive when it comes to uptime. However the last 10 weeks were horrendous, with multiple weeks of disappointing outages. When this is combined with the continued dropoff in speed, WP Engine has plummeted down the rankings.
- Pressidium is currently 2nd and WP Engine is 5th in our Overall Rankings.