After 3 years of testing, let’s compare SiteGround vs InMotion and find out how they’ve performed so far…
SiteGround vs InMotion – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 8 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 80,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 04 Apr 2016 to 22 Dec 2018
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,340 times).
- SiteGround’s speed was typically in the bottom half of our hosts during 2016. How things have turned around in 2017 & 2018, with a dramatic improvement to 2nd during the 1st half of 2017. SiteGround have then taken it a step further to be our fastest host in H2 2017, H1 2018 and H2 2018.
- InMotion Hosting’s speed has been a little inconsistent across the last 3 years. Their load times have been on a bit of a roller coaster, where some weeks they can be the fastest hosts, while other weeks they can drop to slowest. Their most recent results in H2 2018 are their most impressive, where they are the 2nd fastest host.
- SiteGround is currently sitting in 1st place and InMotion 3rd in our Speed Rankings.
H2 2018 Results
H1 2018 Results
H2 2017 Results
H1 2017 Results
View the Weekly Speed Tests
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (80,640 times).
- SiteGround have performed brilliantly when it comes to Uptime, showing rare consistency for the 3 years we’ve been testing. Their performance in H1 2018 has been their best so far, with just 12 minutes of downtime, while H2 2018 was also impressive with just 23 minutes of downtime.
- InMotion Hosting have also performed erratically when it comes to Uptime. Their 2016 performance was positive, finishing 3rd, but as time has gone on, they have progressively dropped away. In 2017 they were 7th and both H1 & H2 2018 they’ve fallen to be the worst active host, recording 765 minutes of downtime.
- SiteGround is currently ranked 2nd and InMotion 8th in our Uptime Rankings.
View the Weekly Uptime Tests
SiteGround vs InMotion Hosting – Overall Test Results
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- SiteGround’s performance was solid throughout 2016, but has really stepped up across 2017 & 2018. Their uptime consistency has been very impressive plus they have been our fastest host over the past 18 months. These results have led to SiteGround achieving for the first time the coveted #1 Overall Ranking – Congratulations!!
- InMotion Hosting’s performance started off as promising but inconsistent across 2016 & 2017, resulting in a ranking of 4th at the end of 2017. While their speed in H2 2018 has been very impressive, they have been let down by disappointing uptime results across 2018.
- This results in SiteGround currently sitting in 1st, while InMotion is 5th in our Overall Rankings.