After 3 years of testing, let’s compare Web Hosting Hub vs DreamHost and find out how they’ve performed so far…
Web Hosting Hub vs DreamHost – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 8 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 80,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 04 Apr 2016 to 22 Dec 2018
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,340 times).
- Web Hosting Hub’s speed was inconsistent across 2016 & 2017, with ranking swings from 4th to 7th then back to 4th again to finish off 2017. Unfortunately, their speed has fallen right away in 2018, so much so that they have received the unwanted title of slowest host in H1 2018 and 2nd slowest in H2 2018.
- DreamHost has been consistently slow, but were still competitive in 2016. This situation worsened considerably in 2017, in particular the last 9 weeks, where their average speed dropped to 7.15s. As a result of these unacceptably slow times, DreamHost was replaced by Lightning Base on 23 Apr 2017.
- Hub is currently sitting in 7th place and DreamHost is 10th in our Speed Rankings.
H2 2018 Results
H1 2018 Results
H2 2017 Results
H1 2017 Results
View the Weekly Speed Tests
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (80,640 times).
- Web Hosting Hub have been erratic when it comes to Uptime. Their performance has typically landed them in the bottom half of our hosts across all 3 years of testing.
- DreamHost’s uptime was acceptable during 2016, finishing mid-table. However, 2017 has been really disappointing, with the last 9 weeks resulting in a downtime of 476 minutes.
- Hub is currently ranked 6th and DreamHost is 9th in our Uptime Rankings.
View the Weekly Uptime Tests
Web Hosting Hub vs DreamHost – Overall Test Results
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- The performance of Web Hosting Hub across 2016 & 2017 would be best summarized as promising but inconsistent. Unfortunately their 2018 results have been a noticeable step backward in both speed and uptime. This has led to Hub dropping further in our rankings.
- After being competitive in 2016, and even showing signs of improvement, DreamHost has dramatically fallen off the cliff in the last 9 weeks of 2017. With no actionable solutions coming through from their support team, DreamHost needed to be replaced as they were not able to compete with our other hosts in both speed and uptime.
- Hub is currently 7th and DreamHost is 9th in our Overall Rankings.