After 3 years of testing, let’s compare Web Hosting Hub vs HostGator and find out how they’ve performed so far…
Web Hosting Hub vs HostGator – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 8 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 80,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 04 Apr 2016 to 22 Dec 2018
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,340 times).
- Web Hosting Hub’s speed was inconsistent across 2016 & 2017, with ranking swings from 4th to 7th then back to 4th again to finish off 2017. Unfortunately, their speed has fallen right away in 2018, so much so that they have received the unwanted title of slowest host in H1 2018 and 2nd slowest in H2 2018.
- HostGator’s speed has typically been around the mid pack of our hosts across 2016 to 2018. Their best performance was in H1 2017 where they were 3rd fastest, but H1 & H2 2018 has seen a dropoff to 7th fastest.
- HostGator is currently sitting in 6th place and Hub 7th in our Speed Rankings.
H2 2018 Results
H1 2018 Results
H2 2017 Results
H1 2017 Results
View the Weekly Speed Tests
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (80,640 times).
- Web Hosting Hub have been erratic when it comes to Uptime. Their performance has typically landed them in the bottom half of our hosts across all 3 years of testing.
- HostGator’s uptime has been let down by 1 horrendous week (Week 43), where they recorded 425 minutes of downtime. Across 2018, they avoided any one off poor weeks, and a result have been the 5th best performer.
- HostGator is currently ranked 5th and Hub is 6th in our Uptime Rankings.
View the Weekly Uptime Tests
Web Hosting Hub vs HostGator – Overall Test Results
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- The performance of Web Hosting Hub across 2016 & 2017 would be best summarized as promising but inconsistent. Unfortunately their 2018 results have been a noticeable step backward in both speed and uptime. This has led to Hub dropping further in our rankings.
- While HostGator’s speed has shown promise at times, it has fallen into the bottom 2 hosts in 2018. When this is combined with the disastrous week of uptime, where they experienced a ridiculous 425 minutes of outages, HostGator has struggled to compete with the best hosts.
- HostGator is currently 6th, while Hub is 7th in our Overall Rankings.