After 12 months of live testing in 2019, let’s compare Kinsta vs Lightning Base and find out which WordPress host has performed best.
Kinsta vs Lightning Base – Testing Method
- Prior to testing, I have setup identical content on all 6 Live Test Sites
- Each week over 60,000 speed & uptime tests are run using independent tools, GTmetrix & Pingdom
- Test results below are from 07 Jan 2019 to 04 Jan 2020
Test #1: Speed
The GTmetrix Speed Test checks how long it takes for a website to fully load using a desktop internet browser. This test is then repeated every hour throughout the week (1,080 times).
- Kinsta absolutely blitzed our speed test, comfortably outpointing all our other hosts across the 1st 30 weeks of testing in 2019. However, the last 20 weeks of testing from India & Australia has seen a noticeable drop in speeds, leading to a 4th & 3rd placed finish respectively. While Kinsta still holds the lead across 2019, their margin to the competition has shrunk considerably.
- Lightning Base’s average speed has typically been off the pace compared to our other hosts. Their USA & Canada results saw them finish 5th & 4th fastest respectively. Performances in the UK were disappointing, with Lightning Base being the slowest host due to erratic results in Dallas & Vancouver. The roller coaster continued in India across Weeks 31 to 40, as Lightning Base picked up their best results of 2019, being the 3rd fastest host. The final 10 weeks in Australia saw them finish 4th, with a particularly poor performance in Dallas.
- Kinsta is currently in 1st place, while Lightning Base is 5th in our Speed Rankings.
2019 Results – USA Server
2019 Results – Canada Server
2019 Results – UK Server
2019 Results – India Server
2019 Results – Australia Server
Test #2: Uptime
The Pingdom Uptime Test confirms that the website is actually accessible to visitors. This test is then repeated every minute throughout the week (60,480 times).
- The uptime performance for Kinsta started off impressively, with just 1 minute of downtime across the first 10 weeks of testing in 2019. This picture dramatically changed in Week 152 when they experienced a whopping 223 minutes of downtime!! Impressive results have returned in Weeks 21-50 with just 3 minutes of downtime.
- Lightning Base has performed extremely poorly when it comes to Uptime so far in 2019. In Week 143 of testing, 119 minutes of downtime was experienced by Lightning Base, which is very uncharacteristic. Over the last 2 years of testing I have conducted here, Lightning Base only had 65 minutes of downtime. The good news is there hasn’t been any repeats of this, with no downtime at all across Weeks 11 to 30, and just 16 minutes in Weeks 31 to 50.
- Lightning Base is sitting in 5th place, with Kinsta 6th in our Uptime Rankings.
Kinsta vs Lightning Base – Overall ranking
The Overall Ranking accumulates the results from the speed & uptime tests to determine the #1 Host.
- Kinsta’s ultra impressive speed has been offset with the worst uptime performance across all hosts. It is worth noting that the poor uptime all related to 1 horror week, the remaining uptime has been exceptional. While there’s been a dropoff in speed across the last 20 weeks in India & Australia, Kinsta’s performance across the year has been very impressive (even more so if you forgive their horror uptime week).
- Lightning Base has been let down by their extremely disappointing downtime of 119 minutes in Week 143. Outside of this one off poor week, their uptime performance has been exceptional. But when you combine this with erratic speed results, Lightning Base has finished 2019 at the base of the field.
- Kinsta is currently 3rd and Lightning Base is 6th in our Overall Rankings.