Which host will start 2017 most reliably?
Uptime Test – Week 39 Method
- Compare 8 WordPress Hosts
- Use 8 Live Sites, each with a Different Host but with Identical Content (you can check them out here)
- Use Pingdom Uptime Test
- Location of Test: 10 North America Locations
- Frequency of Testing: Every Minute across the Last 7 Days
- Number of Weekly Tests = 1 x60 x24 x7 x8 = 80,640 (xMinutes xHours xDays xSites)
- Uptime testing is confirming that the website is actually accessible to visitors
- An example of why an outage (or downtime) can occur is scheduled maintenance of the server the website is hosted on
Which WordPress Hosts can ace the uptime test this week?
Identical Live Sites
Uptime Test – Week 39 Summary Table
Our hosts have recorded an impressive uptime performance to kick off 2017, with 6 hosts achieving the ultimate goal of 100% Uptime (just 3 hosts achieved 100% in Week 38):
- InMotion Hosting
- Web Hosting Hub
Unfortunately, A2 Hosting’s extremely poor uptime results have continued. After having 2-3 hours of downtime each week for the last month of testing, they have performed even worse this week with over 11 hours of downtime from 378 separate outages. The worsening of this performance is extremely concerning, I will attempt to find out why this is occurring and whether it is fixable.
And our winner this week is GoDaddy, recording the fastest time of 291ms. The last time we ran this North America test (in Week 37 with CloudFlare and WP Super Cache), GoDaddy’s time was slightly quicker at 290ms.
Checking in on the overall performance of changing from CloudFlare & WP Super Cache, the average response time across our 8 hosts in Week 37 was 1,222ms, while this week with all optimizations removed it has surprisingly got quicker with an average time of 1,120ms.
This is the first week of our No Optimizations Speed Study. It is a big surprise to see an improvement in speed, I wonder whether this will continue across the final 2 weeks of testing?
Next week, the Uptime Test will be run from Europe, will our current trend continue?
For the 5th Week in a Row,
the Winner is…
After 9 months of testing, let’s summarize all the results to see how our 8 hosts are performing overall. It will also allow us to find out which host is currently leading our uptime challenge.