Which of our hosts can stay up the longest this week?
Uptime Test – Week 20 Method
- Compare 8 WordPress Hosts
- Use 8 Live Sites, each with a Different Host but with Identical Content (you can check them out here)
- Use Pingdom Uptime Test
- Location of Test: 10 Worldwide Locations
- Frequency of Testing: Every Minute across the Last 7 Days
- Number of Weekly Tests = 1 x60 x24 x7 x8 = 80,640 (xMinutes xHours xDays xSites)
- Uptime testing is confirming that the website is actually accessible to visitors
- An example of why an outage (or downtime) can occur is scheduled maintenance of the server the website is hosted on
Which WordPress Hosts can ace the uptime test this week?
Identical Live Sites
Uptime Test – Week 20 Summary Table
Our hosts have recorded a solid uptime performance this week, with 5 hosts achieving the ultimate goal of 100% Uptime:
- A2 Hosting
And our winner this week is HostGator, recording the fastest time of 152ms! The last time we ran this Worldwide test (in Week 16), HostGator’s time was 176ms, so we’re seeing a slight improvement with WP Rocket!!
On the other side of the ledger, was the really poor performance of InMotion Hosting this week. They experienced 21 outages and the worst response time since caching was setup. This, however, is not related to caching, and a technical issue that is impacting all of their tests this week. It looks as though this may now be rectified (see the flatlining in the very last part of their Response Time graph), but the damage has been done. Let’s hope this is a one off event and they return to their previously good record.
Trying to compare the response times of W3 Total Cache and WP Rocket requires us to remove InMotion’s results. The average response time across our 8 hosts in Week 16 was 228ms, while this week across 7 hosts it has dropped ever so slightly to 225ms. This is truly a tight battle between 2 very good caching solutions, I’m looking forward to seeing who ultimately comes out on top in a couple weeks time!!
And the Week 20 Winner is…
After 20 weeks of testing, let’s summarize all the results to see how our 8 hosts are performing overall. It will also allow us to find out which host is currently leading our uptime challenge.